Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Where I'm From

I am from Jacob's ladder quilts
From Tide detergent and biscuits and gravy for dinner
I am from the double-wide with immaculate flowers
it looked like a mansion to my mama
I am from the dogwood trees and mountain laurel that grows thick over forgotten trails
I'm from dinner at the ballgame and a love of Loretty and Conway
From Pearlie and Knoy
and Albert Lee
I'm from the hateful Sexton women
and the hard-drinking Hamiltons


From "friends of coal" and "cut from a different cloth"
I'm from are you washed in the blood and prayer meetin' on Wednesday night
I'm from Bold Camp, apple butter and scratch-made biscuits
From baseball with Easter eggs and "who's gonna clean this shit up"
While papaw smoked his pipe and shook his head
I am from the Cumberlands where night fell long ago and we're still waitin on the sun to rise

No comments:

Post a Comment