Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 in books

If you haven't yet started using Goodreads, then do yourself a favor before the new year and set yourself a reading goal for 2017. Goodreads helps you track books you've read, keep a list of books you want to read and suggests books for you in genres you enjoy.

Last year I set my reading goal at 30 books. I had never read that many books in a year and I thought it would be a nice challenge. It proved easier than I imagined and I had completed 30 books by summer so my new goal became 50. And if I finish The Trespasser today, I will have met it.



I have NEVER read that many books, nearly over the course of my life much less in a single trip around the sun. I read poetry, short stories, memoirs, non-fiction, historical fiction, young adult, 1 series, and even a graphic novel.

It also may have helped that I joined my first book club this year so that forced me to read books I, otherwise, may never have picked up.

I spent most of my life thinking that what I read had to be historical and useful to me in my craft but that simply isn't true. I burnt through the first 3 books of The Selection series in less than 48 hours. There isn't much use for a princess competition in my line of work but man oh man did I fall hard into that world.

Here are some that I believe are worth your while. Also, take note, I don't often read books from the current year, some are but most are not.Also for some of them I've treated you to a few nonsensical words to encourage your readership of said book.

Fiction

Euphoria by Lily King



I mean the cover alone is enough reason to read it but it was my favorite book of the year.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Sisters, Africa. Missionaries, Crazy devout father. Enough said.

Historical Fiction

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

I recommend this to my students and always have to give the disclaimer that it is not what they think. Stalin's Soviet Union labor camps. One girls story. So good.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
Slow to get started but probably my second favorite book of the year. A few years following the Bolshevik revolution, a former nobleman is confined to a hotel in Moscow.

Non-Fiction

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

Just like The Daily Show: witty, honest, and important.

Between the World & Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

The most important book of the year, in my mind. Made Drew read it too.

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

Want to be inspired to do that thing you've always wanted? This book'll do it.

Poetry

milk and honey by Rupi Kaur

oh so good.

Young Adult

The Selection series (books 1-3) by Keira Cass

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Making of Mollie by Anna Carey



Already on my list for 2017:

When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams

Truevine by Beth Macy

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


What did you read this year that you LOVED? Or what's on your list for next year? Happy reading in 2017! I will likely be trying to figure out if Antoinette is going to find the trespasser as the ball drops tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment