Monday, December 12, 2016

Community

I live in a red county in a state that is blue thanks only to it's proximity to the capital. I sponsor the Diversity Club in a school whose population is 94% white. I sponsor Young Democrats in a school where the 8-10 students who dare attend through the boos and hisses of Carhartts in the hall must also hide their membership from their parents.

On November 9th a handful of them came to our meeting in room 315 with heavy hearts and a million questions. They read comments from classmates on Twitter that made my stomach churn. I did my best to give hard, honest answers and reminded them to consider their privilege as I often have to remind myself. Then from the same tear-soaked face that had just earnestly said "I'm scared" (rendering me more helpless than I've ever felt)  came a light bulb, "Why don't we have a community meal for everyone who is scared and hurting?"

So, on Saturday that is exactly what our town of just over 400 will do. We will come together and break bread reminding ourselves that though the world is big and the troubles overwhelming we must begin with our community and grow from there.

If you are in Floyd on Saturday I hope you will join us at Plenty! from 11:00-2:00 to be together in love. Everyone is welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment