Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I will love with urgency and not with haste


This weekend we traveled through the flatlands in West Virginny and Ohio, slept on the ground, got a contact high and were almost eaten alive by bed bugs but it was totally worth it, because we got to see

Mumford & Sons and Old Crow Medicine Show.

We arrived Friday night and the Gentlemen of the Road had taken over the adorable city of Troy. The town square was closed off where there were 2 stages and lots of food and beverage.


The "shuttle" from our car to the campground was a bit of false advertising because in all reality it was a hay ride from a tractor. But it kept with the theme so I  bought in. I also bought into the camping, I was going to make the best of it despite the fact that neither of our air mattresses would work and we were next to loud frat boys whose sole desire was to keep us up all night. Dear frat boys with visors....ever heard of quiet hours because according to my pamphlet they're supposed to start at 12!!....how old do I sound right now????




Saturday we had a nice pancake breakfast from at the town rec center. Then we purchased our gear and were free to enjoy all the lovely town of Troy had to offer. troy is the stars hollow of ohio for all you Gilmore girl fans, it was almost too perfect

 
For everyone in my hometown my sister compared the festival to "like Heritage Days times 1,000." Drew and I spent the better part of the day in a used book store shocker. As the day wore on we became increasingly aware of how tired we were and how we really did not want to sleep on the ground next to our insensitive neighbors.
 
 
So in the 90 degree heat we packed up camp and rode the hay back to the car and sat in the a/c for a while before hay-riding back for the concert.
 

 
 

 
 
 

At the risk of sounding dramatic I will just say that Mumford was a spiritual experience for me. I cried twice and Drew made the comment on the way home that he felt like he was at church a couple of times. It was church for me and their voices are amazing. And I must tell you the f-word does not sound dirty with a British accent, in fact I quite like it.


Mumford was so humble and funny. There is no lyric they sing that does not stir my soul and their voices make me weak at the knees. Watching them collaborate with OCMS on Wagon Wheel warmed my heart and I cannot speak highly enough of them. 

Our getting home story is one for another day but just know that I would pay twice what I paid to see OCMS or Mumford any day. And probably even sleep in bed bugs in a smoking room on the floor. I don't care if I never see anyone else, I now know that they are both amazing live and I feel so lucky I got to have church with Marcus and the boys.

 
 

 
 

Until we meet again Mumford.....I'll be waiting.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment