Tuesday, July 22, 2014

As of late

So here's what's happened here lately.


  • I've been working on my classroom, I'll post pictures when I'm finished but here's a sneak peek. 






  • Drew and Ike hiked Mt. Rogers, they were supposed to stay gone for two nights but the rain sent them home early. There were lots of critters from what I understand: ponies, turkeys, cows and mice. Hate that I missed that. 




  • We watched the Grand Budapest Hotel. It was so much fun. 
  • I made cobbler for the first time in my life. 





  • I met my hometown friends and their babies for lunch in Abingdon at Wild Flour Bakery. Lunch was scrumptious. And they were super nice. Especially considering all of the profanity coming from our table (just storytelling). 
  • Ike got another barkbox. 


  • We visited a lovely little church in Floyd on Sunday. It was mostly older people but they were so nice and the sermon was just what we needed. Funny how God does that. 

  • I read Jesus Feminist. Don't let the f word scare you. As Sarah Bessey says "Most of what has passed for a description of feminism is fearmongering misinformation. This is my favorite excerpt: 


"Our big and good God is at work in the world, and we have been invited to participate fully-however God gifted and equipped and called each of us. One needn't identify as a feminist to participate in the redemptive movement of God for women in the world. The gospel is more than enough. ...But as long as I know how important maternal health is to Haiti's future, and as long as i know that women are being abused and raped, as long as i know girls are being denied life itself through selective abortion and abandonment and abuse, as long as brave little girls in Afghanistan are attacked with acid for the crime of going to school, and until being a Christian is synonymous with doing something about these things, you can also call me a feminist."

Her book is so encouraging to women and so empowering to those who have been held back for so long. But she also talks about forgiveness in situations where the church has hurt us. "Let's pray for them, forgive them where they have hurt us, and pray for those wounded in our collective cross fire. Let's be gentle in our dealings with them, but then let's get on with it." 

Read it. Woman. Man. Daughter. Son. Mother. Father. Read it. You'll be glad you did.



  • And most importantly: Ike slept in his own bed last night! 


Stay tuned for news on my latest purchase:


No comments:

Post a Comment