Friday, August 23, 2013

Taming the Tongue

  • Imagine a world where the words you speak appear on your skin. Would you be more careful of what you say?

  • What Susie says of Sally says more of Susie than of Sally.

  • The things you say about others also say a lot about you.

I'm trying to see if I can make a post entirely out of quotes I've pinned on pinterest.

How 'bout a little Scripture to really drive it home:

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1:19

If anyone considers himself religious yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. James 1:26

The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire and is itself set on fire by hell. James 3:6



Since Tuesday night I have been thinking this Scripture over and over. It became our topic of conversation at small group where we spoke of how the tongue affects our spouses. I was so moved by it all because I typically have a loose tongue.

Not only in arguments with my husband but also in gossip. Somehow in reading this Scripture over and over I've managed to completely ignore it in actual application this week.

From car-pooling gossip sessions on my way home from school to losing my mind when I found all of my History notes had ruined in the dampness of our basement. which for some reason in my mind became Drew's fault

Yeah this Scripture pricks my heart but it can't stop there. I have to keep a tight reign on my tongue to keep from hurting others and from having Jesus feel the nails for each sin I commit. Can he still fell the nails, every time I fail? Oh how I hope he can't. but let's be clear he already did, for those I haven't even committed yet

Perhaps, I need to think about it from a present experience because I can chalk all of my sin up to him having already taken the abuse for it. But that makes it too easy on me. What if he felt all of those hateful things I said to Drew last night, man that should make me react differently.

Obviously this post is for me. I'm a pretty weak little gal but my tongue has been mighty over the years and I'm working on it.

Happy Friday friends! I hope you are quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger this weekend. I feel certain it will make it much more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard it's the "Osborne" in you. ;) I can so relate to this Meghan, as I'm sure many women can. I think the first step is the realization we can't just say anything we want to because it is sin. I think meditating on verses is a great start. I have been reading in Proverbs the past week and writing many of those down. I would sure like to be known for speaking wise, healing words than foolish words. Haha, I got a laugh out of Proverbs 18:2 Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. It made me think of people's rants on facebook. :P ~Gina

    ReplyDelete